CORPUS CHRISTI – The University Star staff members and contributors won multiple awards during the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) annual conference March 14-16.
The Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) is the oldest collegiate media organization in the country. It consists of 77 public and private two-year colleges and four-year universities in Texas that teach journalism or have existing or planned student publications. The annual awards honor excellence in student media. Twenty-nine schools and more than 275 delegates attended the annual conference in Corpus Christi.
Texas State competes in Division I, which includes A&M-College Station, Abilene Christian, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, University of Houston, University of North Texas, UT-Arlington, UT-Austin, UT-Dallas, UT-El Paso and UT-Rio Grande Valley.
Awards the students received were:
Previously Published Division I
- First Place, Interactive Graphic, Clegg Administration Timeline, Jessi Spain, Garrett McGinley, Sawyer Click
- Second Place, Cartoon Strip/Panel, Procrastination, Stephanie Cloyd
- Third Place, In-Depth Reporting, TPUSA Allegations, Sawyer Click, Jakob Rodriguez, Katie Evans
- Third Place, Print Ad Campaign, Soapbox Soundoff, Megan Hicks
- Third Place, Cover Design Newspaper, He’s Out, Vivian Medina
- Third Place, Special Section Design, Apartment Guide, Vivian Medina
- Honorable Mention, Feature Page Design, San Marcos Stars, Vivian Medina
Onsite Competition Open Division
- First Place, Sports Writing, Jakob Rodriguez
- First Place, Sports Action Photography, Jaden Edison
- Second Place, Editorial Writing, Samantha Guerrero
- Third Place, Feature Photo, Sierra Martin
- Honorable Mention, Copy Editing, Claire Partain
Join us in congratulating our winners!